Citizens Advice Tunbridge Wells and District is an independent local charity affiliated to the national Citizens Advice network. Our core purpose is very broad - namely to provide free advice to anyone who needs it to help them solve their problems. The commonest topics with which people present include benefits, debt, housing, employment, and relationship problems but there are many others, and we welcome all enquiries. Advice is delivered by volunteers, most of whom work with us one day a week. Our volunteers are highly trained, and have access to robust and up-to-date information on all the topics they deal with.
Citizens Advice is available to the whole community, but we are particularly keen to support those who may, for a variety of reasons, find it more difficult to access our services. Such reasons include physical infirmity, isolation, poor transport services and mental health problems.
In a large national survey of recent Citizens Advice clients, over 80% reported that our advice had improved their mental well-being, and nearly half said their physical health had improved as a result of our help. Two-thirds said that Citizens Advice had helped to solve the problem they presented with, and 94% would recommend us to others. In Tunbridge Wells Borough, we support more than 4,000 individuals every year.
We deliver our advice in many ways, because different methods suit different people. You can access our advice by the following routes:
- The national Citizens Advice website (www.citizensadvice.org.uk) contains a wealth of information which can be accessed by anyone with an internet connection. If you prefer to read up about things, this is a good place to start.
- You can visit one of our drop-in centres. These are in Cranbrook Library and the Tunbridge Wells Gateway, and both are open five days a week. There is no need to make an appointment.
- You can call us on 01892 533880 in Tunbridge Wells, or 01580 714936 in Cranbrook. At present, calls normally go to voicemail and we aim to respond to messages within 48 hours.
- You can email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you would like a face-to-face meeting but cannot easily leave Benenden, we offer two further options. First, you can take advantage of our “Adviser with Wheels” service through which we can arrange for an adviser to meet you at St George’s Church in Benenden. To access this service, call 01892 617256. Secondly, if you are unable to leave your home, we offer a home visiting service. You can access this by calling us on 01892 516335.